| Lizzie's first beach trip with Haystack rock behind her. |
You have big blue eyes, low muscle tone and a shrilling cry (when you do cry about once every few days). All of these are Lizzie's unique Down syndrome characteristics.
Lizzie we love you. Your hard work is inspiring. You let us roll you over on your tummy to build strength in your neck, back and arms. We make you wait for a bottle while we massage your cheeks and gums to remind you to use them, even though you are innately just calling out in hunger. We shielded our story from all but our closest friends and family until last week, out of ignorance.
Because we didn't know you would walk and talk and be everything that every other baby is and becomes. Now we know you can lift your head high at tummy time. You are determined to see the world around you for as long as your tiny muscles allow. You show love through your cuddles to everyone lucky enough to hold you. And you talk to us. You coo. It's a blessing.
The heavy bricks fell off my shoulders; a smile spread across my face; I felt like I wasn't in hiding anymore. By sharing with others our "secret," I embraced my life, my family and especially my daughter with Down syndrome. Little Lizzie is no longer the baby with Downs. She is my cute infant who coos, rolls-over, scoots and smiles. She's the baby that I dress-up in tiny Polo outfits and matching PJs with her big sis.
Why did I ever hide? Why did I let myself be insecure these last four months?
I was dealing with emotions in grave conflict with one another. All at once I was happy, sad, embarassed and angry. Happy to bring life into this world; sad that she would have a disability; embarassed that I was sad instead of being thankful for new life; and finally angry for a multitude of reasons.
Now I'm learning from Lizzie, just as I have with Maddi.
It's amazing what a community can do to put you at ease. When we shared our story - you told us of friends and relatives with Downs, you went a researched more about the diagnosis, and you said, "Lizzie picked the right parents."
I'm still fearful of what's to come. There's no guarantees in life, though. We are all unique and I am now excited to champion that for our Lizzie, and Maddi too.
"My mama told me when I was young we're all super-stars....There's nothing wrong with loving who you are because he made you perfect baby, so hold your head up and you'll go far...God makes no mistakes. I'm on the right track baby. I was born this way." ~Lady Gaga
No comments:
Post a Comment